“Welcome everyone! We’re going to have a great school year! Let’s play a game to help us all get acquainted.”
Hi and welcome back to Attentionology for K – 5 Teachers!
A great way to gear up at the start of a new school year or term is to plan catchy and fun activities to help students get acquainted with their new class “team.”
Children who are new not only to your class, but also to your school, will especially appreciate the “welcome wagon” of fun.
Choose what you like from this selection of easy-to-implement activities. All are adaptable to K – 5 kids.
Schedule some during the first month and a half of class…
PLAY HOW DO YOU DO!
Lead your class in a “round robin” game that models courtesy, curiosity, and the importance of getting to know each other.
Here’s how to play:
- Gather everyone together at desks or tables so that there’s room between students.
- Start the play saying, “Hi, I’m Ms./Mr. ______________ (your name). How do you do! I’m from ______________ (your hometown). What about you?”
- Point to a student who then repeats the play with the same phrases and then points to another student. Go all around the room.
- Depending on the time you have for this game, invite students to say something special about themselves after they announce their names and hometowns.
- Optional: Place name tags for all of your students in a decorative box or bag. After you play the How Do You Do! game, ask each student to pull out a name tag and give it to the child it matches for the child to stick on her/his shirt. NOTE: This option encourages good listening skills and observation!
TEAM CHEFS – COOK UP CRAZY WORD PICTURE RECIPES