Hi and welcome back to Attentionology for K – 5 Teachers!
Everyone’s busy this time of year, so here’s a quick attention-getting trick to try with your students…
…Countdown to the holidays by decorating an Attentionology Tree.
Make this a class project.
Invite students to help you count down to the holidays in this new and special way.
1. Announce your plan ahead of the day you begin decorating your Attentionology Tree.
2. Bring in a tree – artificial or real or turn a bulletin board into a giant tree using colored construction paper for the trunk and leaves.
3. Ask students if they feel more distracted than usual during the holiday season.
4. Discuss the importance of staying focused and on task in class, especially during exciting times of the year when distractions increase. Talk about the impact of distractions, how they can get in the way of getting basic, good work done.
5. Make a list on the board of your own and students’ ideas about HOW to make ourselves pay attention when we need to do so.
6. Ask students to help decorate the class’ Attentionology Tree… (more…)