Hi and welcome back to Attentionology for K – 5 Teachers!
The Attentionology Tree is back by popular demand…with some updates!
Everyone’s busy this time of year, so here’s a quick attention-getting trick to try with your students…
Countdown to the holidays by decorating an Attentionology Tree with memorable messages on ornaments – Make this a class project. Invite students to help you countdown to the holidays in this new and special way.
Follow these steps:
1. Announce your plan ahead of the day you begin decorating your Attentionology Tree.
2. Bring in a tree – artificial or real, or turn a bulletin board into a giant tree using colored construction paper for the trunk and leaves.
3. Ask students if they feel more distracted than usual during the holiday season.
4. Discuss the importance of staying focused and on task in class, especially during exciting times of the year when distractions increase. Talk about the impact of distractions, how they can get in the way of getting basic, good work done.
5. Make a list on the board of your own and students’ ideas about HOW to make ourselves pay attention when we need to do so. Tell the class that these ideas can become memorable messages.
6. Ask students to help decorate the class Attentionology Tree with ornaments that feature their memorable messages about how to pay attention.
What’s the next step?
7. Distribute pre-cut paper shapes or invite students to cut paper shapes from colored construction paper to make ornaments with memorable Attentionology messages to hang on the tree.
8. Instruct the kids to write ONE message on each ornament. Encourage them to draw and color decorative borders around the messages.
9. Help students punch holes at the top of the ornaments.
10. Tie ribbons to make loops for hanging the ornaments.
11. Invite a different student each day to hang one Attentionology Ornament at a time on the Attentionology Tree to countdown to the holidays.
Number Ornaments to Add to Your Attentionology Tree – If you need more ornaments to fill out your class tree, hang number cards with ribbons or hooks that you find or make with students to hang around the Attentionology message ornaments.
Use the numbers to reinforce the concept of counting down.
Just before vacation, review the memorable messages on the tree ornaments with the class.
Optional: Give students small Attentionology Gifts, such as plastic star ornaments, to reward them for their work and help them remember the Attentionology Memorable Messages.
Leave the Attentionology Tree up over the holidays so that you can point to it as a reminder when class is back in session after the new year begins.
Good Character Tree Ornaments Option – If your students respond well to making ornaments with memorable messages to hang on a tree in your classroom, invite them to write messages on another set of ornaments that relate to showing good character.
Make the connection between a memorable message ornament tree and a family tree. Ask students if good character runs in families.
The possibilities for kids to make ornaments with memorable messages are endless!
Make an Attentionology Tree part of your annual holiday-time teaching tradition.
Remember, you don’t need to be a magician to work magic in any instructional setting!
Talk with you again soon,
Barbara ♥ The Lovable Poet